Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Snowfolk

This is the image out of my office window this morning. Remember how cheerful and happy the snowfolk were a few days ago? Well, now the picture looks much more dreary. The sun is not out, the wind is blowing, all the beautiful snow is melting away. I couldn't help but think this is kinda how life is.



A couple of things could happen now. 1)the sun could come out, the weather get warm and these little snowfolk could be a heap of snow by tonight. or 2) The temp could drop, snow could start falling and these little guys could stay with us until next spring. Life is like that, so unpredectable. How often do I have everything in my mind of how things will play out, and the script changes at the last minute. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is bad, but it is the change that throws me.



I am different than these snowfolk in some ways. If I don't like my circumstances, I can simply move to a new place. I get to say who I will stand beside and who I won't, I get to choose where I will spend today and with whom. I get to move to a spot that meets my needs and take care of myself. That is good. What I can not control is the weather and the outside circumstances. I can not control what others do or say, only myself. I can only control my reaction to the changes around me and inside me.



I, personally, like happy endings. I like books and movies with happy endings, because, frankly I enjoy having my head in the sand sometimes. Unfortunately, that is not reality. Whether my head is in the sand or not, the wind is still blowing. I need to pull my head out more often and learn to move or change if I am unhappy with where I am. I need to use my voice in a productive, healthy way for myself and those around me. I am not at the mercy of my circumstances, I have choices! I think I will always like happy endings - and maybe if I can create my own happiness inside myself, no matter the turmoil around me, I will have a happy ending each day, each week, each month. I know that not all days can be happy, but if I wake up the next morning willing to try again, I will have more happy ones than not.

3 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

O opt for beauty instead of happy endings.

Friar Tuck said...

I opt for...not O opt for

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of happy endings myself. A BIG fan. It's just that sometimes you have to find the happiness when it turns out differently than you were hoping.