Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Logs



We lifted all the logs in our home using block and tackle and my suburban. It was interesting to say the least! I look back on the mixed memory of building our house with good and bad feelings. When I think about lifting the logs, it is a good memory. Each log we lifted got us closer to the top.

Today Sean, my husband, is putting up a log swing. He has used 3 logs and made the swing support. I will get a picture as soon as it is up...at this moment he is redoing one log leg...why, you ask? Because I just broke it! It was all ready to lift into the four foot deep holes he has dug. He had it all rigged up and just called me out to use the truck to pull it up and then the plan was for it to fall into the holes. That was not what happened. It was not rising with the gentle pull I was using, so I decided it just needed a jump start. So, I let the rope get slack, then backed up quickly, thinking the jerk would pull it off the ground, and hence into the holes...NOT! When I ran out of slack the truck came to a sudden dead stop and actually jerked the logs a little to the left, and cracked the left log about two feet! So, here I am in the cool house while Sean is unbolting the broken log, and choosing a replacement, cutting it to length, and rebolting it. He was actually nice about it, all things considered. Or - maybe he just choose not to say anything under the circumstances, yes, probably a wise decision!

He and I are so opposite. If you are anywhere near me, you do not have to wonder what I am thinking or feeling. I do not really hold much in. I will say that with maturity and lots of counseling :), I have learned to use a filter system in most instances. If I had worked all day on something and it had taken this turn, I would be ranting and raving and for sure using some curse words! I would not really blame anyone, but would be pissed at life in general. But this is Sean, is he upset? Who knows? Is he frustrated? I couldn't tell you. How could he not be though? That is what I don't get. It will come out eventually though, probably on some poor innocent person. That is the thing with negative emotions, they build up like a pressure cooker and when they blow someone always gets burned.

I better get some pictures of the swing structure so you can see it!

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Looking forward to seeing the log swing! Wonder if it's a project my husband might be able to tackle...

Jen said...

Oh boy can I relate!
My hubby is cool as a cucumber with most mishaps. Then when #9 or ten comes along he will pop. Then I call him a 'jerk' and tell him to relax.

BTW - Hello! Your blog is a good read, and I hope you don't mind me barging in. Blessings--Jen

reliv4life said...

Shellmo - I am sure he could do it, building it wasn't that tough I don't think...it is getting it off that ground that seems to be the challenge! It is still laying there and Sean will be at work for the next 48 hours... I will keep you posted! :)

reliv4life said...

Jen - on the contrary - thanks for showing up, it is good to see you! That is a good way of putting it...the 9th or 10th time - so true!

Friar Tuck said...

Sean is a good man

reliv4life said...

Friar - yes, sean is a good person for sure.