Friday, June 13, 2008

Driving

Today I drove to town. Big deal you say? Well, actually it is a big deal. One thing I have not talked a lot about is the anxiety I have experienced. I should go back years ago, before I experienced my Environmental Illness. I had always just gone and done anything I wanted to do. I thought nothing of grabbing the car keys and heading where I wanted, whenever I wanted. Well, when I got sick, it all changed. When I would have an allergic reaction, I would get dizzy, nauseous, and I couldn't think straight. What started happening was if I was out and about and had an allergic reaction, I couldn't remember how to get back home. As a result, I stopped driving. I would only go to town if my husband or my mom was with me.

I am so grateful to be getting my life back! This past year has just been one small victory over another. I have been driving with to town with my kids for about 6 months. Well, today I drove to town alone! It was scary and not simple, but I DID IT! Just one more small step in claiming back my life. Praise God for all He has done and continues to do!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you are doing is classic exposure treatment for anxiety - facing increasingly difficult versions of thethings that made you anxious. Way to go!

reliv4life said...

Glad I am now feeling good enough to face it...

Shelley said...

What a great step you have taken - all the best to you and hopes that you feel "good" soon about driving.

reliv4life said...

thanks shellmo - I do feel good! I am excited to just get more and more freedom!