Saturday, March 29, 2008

Wide Open Spaces

I LOVE being out in the open country. When I begin heading home from town, there is a certain point in the road where I drive around a curve and it just seems less congested. All of a sudden there are fewer houses, fewer people, and I literally feel myself physically relax. It is like I can suddenly take a deeper breath than I could before.

I grew up in Texas, not in a huge town, but we lived in the country until I was 5. We sold our horse, butchered our two cows, and moved into town. I can still vividly remember the evening meal when my older sister informed me that I was eating my old pal, Blackie, the cow!! I was traumatized! I always lived in the city then growing up. I don't really remember feeling like I hated it or anything. I just don't think I totally relax until I get someplace where I have some breathing room. Like while driving out to the house now, I don't notice that I am not relaxed, until I make that curve and suddenly feel relaxed. There is just something within me that craves space, air, and elbow room.

My theme song for the day: "Wide Open Spaces" by the Dixie Chicks

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I agree. Being out in the country is relaxing - you have time with your own thoughts. (I try to go to my "happy place" of envisioning I'm in the woods when I'm stuck on I-96 heading to work.) ha,ha
S.

Friar Tuck said...

You would like where I am going to be living then.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I used to come home from being away in the summer, I would roll down the window to smell the honeysuckle - I loved that welcome.