Friday, July 25, 2008


Well it has been an interesting few days. Jake woke up a couple of days ago with chest pain radiating down his left arm. He was asking to go to the hospital, which was my first clue this must be serious! This kid HATES doctors. Bottom line is Pericarditis, inflammation of the lining of his heart probably caused by a virus. I still don't have too many answers... I will back up.

So, we headed to the ER, Sean, Jake and I. They ran the normal blood tests, everything was normal, except his cardiac enzymes were high. They then did an EKG - which had a few small glips, but was a normal sinus rhythm for the most part. Then they did a chest xray. His blood pressure was a little wacky, going from 137/60 to 90/55, etc... So, after a bit the doctor came in. Sean has just stepped out. The doctor sat down, and said, "well, we had found the cause." Then looked over and seeing Sean not there asked, "is you husband coming back?" I said he would be back in a few minutes. He said,"well, I will just come back and tell you when he is in here" My heart fell,"Is it bad?" Dr: "Not bad, but something to be concerned with" and walked out... IDIOT!!! I thought he was dying by the time Sean came back. I have 3 kids and have never had a Doctor say something like that. On the other hand, I have never had a kid with a heart condition. Still think he handled it poorly. Anyway, So when we were all in there he explained it was Pericarditis and we needed to see the cardiologist at 3:30. They released us.

We came to the cardiologist at 3:30 and the tech did and echo cardiogram...essentially it is a sonogram of the heart. Then he just releases us. Well, mama had a lot of questions that were not being answered by anyone as of now. So, I began to ask them... the tech said the test results would be released to Jake's MD and to call him with questions. So, I did. Luckily he had received the labs from the ER. He said to use ibuprofen for pain every 8 hours. So, here we are three days later and still no results from the Sonogram. We have an appointment with Dr Burton, Jake's MD at 4 today and he is suppose to have the results of the test by then. I certainly hope so.

Jake is doing really well though. We increased his Reliv and added in the cardioessentials. Within an hour of his first shake like that his pain and pressure left and has never returned! That is such a blessing!! He is fatigued though. If he walks more than 10 foot he is just worn out. Showering almost puts him under. From my friend MR Google, I think that is all just par for the course and at least he isn't hurting.

I want a boring life, maybe just for a week or two, is that possible?


Jen said...

Can't stand a doctor with poor bedside manners!
Hope Jake is doing better today!

reliv4life said...

Jen - thanks! He seems much better today - yea!!

Shellmo said...

Wishing Jake continued health. (I hate when doctors don't speak like "human" beings!)