Thursday, January 15, 2009

Splinters in Life

Poor Little Lizzie got a splinter the other day. When looking at these photos I couldn't help but think how this applies to my own life at times. When something unexpected happens that is uncomfortable, or even painful I want to fix it myself. Even if someone that is much stronger than me or has more knowledge than me is standing right there waiting to help, I can be stubborn. The entire splinter episode with Lizzie took about an hour. Forty - five minutes of that was her trying to remove it herself. Once she finally consented to help, we got it out in about 15 minutes.
Look at that pitiful face. When I see someone I love hurting, I want to rush in a fix it for them. This is not always what they want or even need. Sometimes, unfortunately we need to go through hard things. That is just life. It is not God punishing us or not caring, it is life in an imperfect world, period.

This is her last ditch attempt to fix it herself. She was grasping at straws here. "Maybe water will just wash it right out" she said. I do this in my life. Instead of just turning to the help offered, I am desperately trying to fix it myself and getting more frustrated by the minute. It was after this that she finally decided we could help her.


This is the splinter. It went straight in, so all we saw was the tip of the wood, had NO idea it was this large. I am SO glad when something painful happens that we can not actually see how big of an obstacle it is. When I became ill, if I would have known I would spend 90% of the next five years of my life in bed, I think I might have just thrown in the towel right then and there. Yea, I think NOT always knowing what is ahead and just living one day at a time is how it needs to be.
I wish I would have gotten a picture of Lizzie's smile when that thing finally came out. I was too busy holding her and loving on her and celebrating with her. Because when we make it through, and that WILL happen, it is time to celebrate. Celebrate our endurance, our persistence, and celebrate life! Yea, some days suck and we merely survive - but others? Well, those days are just AMAZINGLY AWESOME - like today!



4 comments:

Jen said...

I love how you weave your stories together.
Hugs to Lizzie! ox

Shelley said...

Hugs to Lizzie!! You're a good mom!

Cassie said...

Oh the poor little kid.She is quite something though,operating on herself like that.You are right on...rather than relying on our own devises why don't we just go to the Creator first?! Thanks for the good message.I 3rd the hugs to Lizzie. Tell her Hootie & Baby send sloppy kisses too!

reliv4life said...

I read your comments to Lizzie, she was thrilled with all the hugs thrown her way! esp the kisses from hootie and baby!! thanks!