Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dad

Well, my dad is gone back to Texas. He left early this morning. I had a few wishes before he came - which you might remember. I can now honestly say:

It was not as bad as I expected!! He really just mostly ignored me, which is a good thing, much easier than being under his critical eye. I would be lying if I didn't say there was a small amount of pain that he has still never mentioned or acknowledged my birthday even after attending a surprise party!! But hey - it is par for the course.

I handled things pretty well and Look how far I have come. I do feel that wish came true as well. All those years of therapy and $ was worth it!!

I won't have to do this again for a long while. That is probably true, but even if I did have to do it again soon - I know it would be OK.

Thanks for all your kind words, suggestions, and wishes!! I appreciated every one of them. So, here I am on the other side feeling glad it is over, but feeling pretty confident in who I am as a person. I really could not ask for much more than that.

6 comments:

Shelley said...

I'm glad it wasn't so bad. The most important people are the ones in your house. Hug that little Lizzie for me!

Friar Tuck said...

Good deal. Good for you.

Friar Tuck said...

Good deal. Good for you.

Jen said...

I shake my head at fathers like this. I shook my head for years.

Good for you! Be confident in who you are.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were able to weather the visit with equanimity.

(My father hasn't remembered my birthday the last four years, even though it falls just 5 days before his own!)

reliv4life said...

Shelley - me too - thanks! I will hug her.

friar - thanks

Jen - amen sister!

Citizen - how sad about your dad. We just have to remember they are the ones losing out! After all, we are daughters that should be cherished and honored - if they can't do it, we will just cherish and honor ourselves!!